Summary of the Programme
The Certificate in Fishing Technology (apprenticeship) is a revised programme developed with respect to CBA and new developments in the fishing industry. The programme is designed to allow learners to develop the practical knowledge and skills, required for preparing them to integrate fully in the fishing industry operations. The Programme is designed for 18 months including work based experience which is of 12 months.
- S5 School leavers who has successfully passed National Examinations (50%) in Math’s , English and Combined Science or 85% General Math’s, General English and General Science.
- STCW & MLC 2006 Convention medical fitness
- Records of Achievement (must include studies and projects in the maritime industry)
Learner should also be:
- Ability to swim free style to a minimum 50 meters.
- Aptitude to withstand overnight fishing voyages.
- Proven interest in Fisheries Technology with good vision for this career.
- Strong liking for sea and maritime related activities.
- High standard of conduct and discipline.
Modules covered in the First Semester (level 1)
- Basic Navigation & Seamanship (Level 1)
- Artisanal Fishing Techniques (Level 1)
- English for Effective communication
- Conduct fishing trips (Level 1)
- Basic Marine Mechanics
- Plan & Prepare Fishing Trips
Non – STCW short courses
- Proficiency in Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Proficiency Elementary First Aid
- Proficiency Personal Survival Techniques
- Proficiency Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Proficiency Ships Security Awareness
- Proficiency Radio Operator Certificate (Non COC)
SEMESTER 2 and 3 ( 6 Months each Semester)
Work Base Experience (12 months)
SEMESTER 4 ( 2 MONTHS)
Modules covered in the Forth Semester (level 2)
- Basic Navigation & Seamanship (Level 2)
- Artisanal Fishing Techniques (Level 2)
- Conduct fishing trips (Level 2)
Occupation(s) targeted for the graduates of the Course: Fisherman (Artisanal) & Assistant Fishing Gears Technician (Net Mending & Repair, Trap Making), Fisherman (Semi Industrial) (Sea Cucumber, Shark Fin, Drop Line, Long Line, Spanner Crab) Park Rangers, Skipper Coastal Trade (Coxswain 10 Nautical Miles) and progressing 60 Nautical Miles after 12 months of sea experience).